Monday, March 29, 2010

Is Anyone Out There?

I guess I should start this off saying that I am not dead. This blog isn't dead either, just on hiatus. I am hoping that this hiatus will be ending soon. What happened? Life. I think I underestimated what repatriation was going to be like. Things were going lovely and then life hit. Nothing bad, just busy. There were hockey games to go to (someone has to cheer for the Oilers, right?) and bills to pay, shifts to work, beer to drink. Then there was Christmas and MY BIRTHDAY (Yeah, I turned 28! If you missed it, I am accepting belated birthday gifts up until my next birthday. No worries.). I thought a lot about writing and about what writing means to me. I'll never be Anne Bronte, Anne Frank (fingers crossed!) or even Anne Rice and I don't have any professional literary aspirations, but I do like writing things down. It's nice having something to look back on because I have a terrible memory.

I want to stress, things here are good. Matt is doing really well, possibly better than I am. He was officially accepted into the law school of his choice (and rather early on in the process, I might add) and has already attended the Dean's welcome. I'm pretty sure he and the Dean be tight now. And he really likes his job which he'll work at until school starts in September.

Me? This has been a big year for me. I didn't even know it. I thought, hey, repatriation during a recession- piece of cake?! And it's been actually pretty good. Change is my mantra and I am trying to take deep breaths and scoop up as much of it in my arms as I can. This is a confusing time and I am re-examining everything. Career- check (I somehow got one of those.) Living situation- check. Friendships- check. Dreams- check. Money- check. Everything is going at lightning pace. I can't say a lot because I don't want to jinx anything but I may have some big news soon.

Oh, and I have a book club again! We've met once and are reading our second book! My reading progress has been abysmal but I'm not illiterate yet. I had a lot of high hopes but life is in the way again. I am going to keep trying. We're reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao right now by Junot Diaz and I am really liking it. Good thing all the Spanish I know is swear words!

So don't delete me from all of your bookmarks just yet. I know there are lots of blogs out there and I am not trying to become number one on everyone's blogroll, but I think I have a few more things to say. I am just finding the time. Love you all!

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

*waves*
I wanna hear the big news.

Eddie said...

Still here, ready for more when it comes. :)

Dana Kiemeny Thompson said...

So glad you're writing again.

Carter said...

This was such a beautiful post.

Welcome back!!!

I am soooo happy!!!!

Anonymous said...

How weird, i almost did delete the blog from bookmarks last week. Glad i didn't :)
Gisela

Bybee said...

I'm so happy to see updates on your blog...I knew they were in you..I could hear them crying to get out. But yeah...repatriation is a big job. Glad you have a new book group & your choice is very good! My Cracked Spinz group read it last summer.

Simone said...

I'm so glad your blog is back! (I opened up my Google reader the other day and said WHEEEE! when I saw that you had new posts). I don't want to pick favorites but you'll always be at the top of my reading list, probably because I've known you for so long.

I was actually going to email you a while back & ask if everything was OK. But, then I didn't want to be nosy. Anyways, I'm glad that you are just busy with life.

PS. Tell Matt I say Congrats!

suki said...

Considering I JUST found you, I'm not going anywhere just yet. Write more! :)