Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Review: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The second book choice for the Brazen Bookies (my book club) was The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz. This book centers around Oscar who is nerdy, overweight and unlucky in just about everything. It goes through his family history and the curse that they have endured and also throws in a lot of history about the Dominican Republic.

I personally liked the book and found it humorous and interesting. The biggest complaint at the meeting was all the Spanish that was used in the dialogue but I didn't find it too distracting. I know a bit of obvious Spanish and a number of cuss words so that was pretty sufficient to help me translate. I really didn't know anything about the history of the DR and it was pretty interesting to learn about it since we visited it a few years ago.

I don't really have too much to say other than it's a good book and if you speak English and Spanish you will probably really enjoy it (but if you just speak English it could be harder for you to get into). Also, Matt is a terrible book club member and didn't finish the book. Just want to get that out there. Boo Matt!

Our next choice is another nonfiction (I think we will alternate) and I am looking forward to it! We're going to read The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett. I have already decided that I am going to envision the man as Johnny Depp in his role in The Ninth Gate. Every rare book hunter/thief looks like Johnny Depp, right?

2 comments:

Bybee said...

I love the name of your book group and also your selection. Diaz completely captured my heart on page two with that footnote! I thought the Spanish was easy to follow...it was all in context. My son helped me out with many of the pop culture references. After so many phone calls and emails, he decided to read the book himself and loved it.

Bookleaves wants to read The Man Who Loved Books Too Much as well, but trying to wait till the paperback comes out.

Why am I here??? said...

I love how much you read! I wish I could be like you and 'love to read'. Any advice?