Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Review: The Time Traveler's Wife

I really hesitated to buy this book. I had seen it everywhere and I always assumed that the title was symbolic. As it turns out it's actually about a man that travels through time. Go figure. And I really loved the book despite my doubts. It's no secret that I am a book snob. I turn my nose up at most "best sellers" because I prefer stories that are unique and well written. I am like this with most media (film, television, music). I hate reading formulaic drivel that I could have thought up myself.

The Time Traveler's Wife is both unique and well written. It was romantic and believably so despite the unbelievable circumstances. I still dislike the title, probably because the book is more about the time traveler, Henry, rather than his wife, Clare. At least that's how I felt. I also liked him more. However, when I think logically about Clare, I should sympathize more with her situation. I found her to be spoiled and a little bit childish. With the bizarre life she has I guess that should be expected though. My favorite part was when we learn how Clare received her scar and the ending is pretty devastating.

Romantic, lovely, sad without veering into sappy territory. I have a feeling the author may have written this book and envisioned herself as Clare. Maybe I'm over analyzing things though. Pick it up and give it a read! Matt liked it too!

1 comment:

Carter said...

I should request this one from the library. Oh wait, I already did! I'm 40th in line for it.